8 oz bacon, chopped; Note: use kitchen shears to cut bacon directly into the pot to avoid getting raw bacon on your cutting board.
8 oz fresh chorizo or soyrizo; Note: if you can’t get fresh chorizo, use the cured type and cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large russet potato, chopped small
2 medium carrots, chopped small
1 can cannellini beans
32 oz unsalted or low-sodium chicken broth/stock
10 oz bag frozen kale
Kosher Salt and fresh pepper
Ciabatta or other crusty bread
1 whole clove fresh garlic
1. Prep your ingredients. Note, if you are comfortable with your chopping skills, you can prep your onion, garlic, potatoes and carrots while the bacon, chorizo and onion are all cooking. Otherwise, get these ready to go before you start cooking.
2. Add a small amount of oil to a large dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Add chopped bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until brown and crumbly. Remove with a spoon to a paper-towel lined plate. Remove all but 1 Tbl of bacon fat and discard.
3. Add chorizo to the pot, crumbling (if fresh) and browning for 4-5 minutes. Once chorizo is browned, add onions and carrots and continue to cook for 4-5 more minutes, stirring frequently until vegetables just start to brown. Add garlic and stir and cook for 30 seconds. If there is more than about 1 Tbl of fat in the pan, drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
4. Return chorizo mixture to the pan, add potatoes, beans, chopped bacon and chicken broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add frozen kale and stir to combine. Simmer for 15 min while you make the crostini.
5. Preheat broiler for 5 min. Slice ciabatta into 1/2” slices. Brush with olive oil on both sides. Broil 1-2 min on each side (watch it carefully!) until toasted. When done, rub a fresh garlic clove on one side of the bread to add garlic flavor.
6. Check the soup for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed before serving.
Note: The soup is an excellent recipe to make-ahead or freeze! The best way to reheat is over medium-low heat on the stove top.