- Canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb ground pork
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C chipotle cooking sauce (Herdez brand recommended) or chipotle salsa
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 1 can buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits per can)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 C chipotle cooking sauce or chipotle salsa
- 1/2 C sour cream
Avocado and Tomato Salad
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 smashed and peeled garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Approx 2 C chopped tomatoes, whatever kind look good
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
1.Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray or line with parchment or a silicon mat. Assemble ingredients for empanadas.
2. Make salad dressing: Combine juice of 1 lime, garlic clove, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, honey, and 2 Tbsp olive oil in a small jar or bowl and mix well. Set aside for flavors to meld while making rest of meal.
3. Prepare filling: In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil (just enough to cover bottom of skillet) over medium-high heat. When hot, add pork, and cook and crumble until brown and cooked through. Add jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and salt. Combine well and cook for about 1 min for spices to bloom. Turn off heat. Add 1/2 C chipotle cooking sauce or salsa, lime juice, and sour cream and combine well.
4. Prepare empanadas: Beat egg in a small bowl to make an egg wash. Remove biscuits from can. On a lightly floured surface, roll each to about an 8” circle. Add about 2 oz of filling (use a 2 oz cookie scoop/disher or a 1/4 C measure) to each, fold over into half circle, and use a fork dipped in flour to crimp the edges closed. Place on prepared baking sheet. Paint with egg wash. Bake for 15-20 min until golden brown. Allow to rest for 5 min before serving with sauce.
5. Make sauce: While empanadas are baking, combine 1/2 C chipotle cooking sauce or salsa and 1/2 C sour cream and mix well.
6. Make salad: While empanadas are baking, mix lime juice, chop and combine tomatoes, avocado, cucumber and red onion. Add dressing (but not garlic clove!) and toss just before serving. Top with cilantro, if desired.